Jeopardy Scripture Memorization
“My son, listen to your father when he corrects you. And don’t ignore what your mother teaches you.” Proverbs 1:8
Allow 30 minutes
Materials: markers crayons, colored pencils, typing paper, quilt, chalkboard, gold coins or goldfish,
Directions: Large quilt made in squares the size of 10 X 12 that will hang on the wall. Typing paper (8.5x11) with the words “Say the Verse” and “Fish for Gold” typed one side of the paper. On the other side type numbers.
Place the typing paper using a safety pen or scotch tape to cover the squares of the quilt. Have the kids (One at a time) select a number and turn it over to see what is on the other side. They will either see the words “Say the Verse” and “Fish for Gold”. Provide a container of gold fish, gummy worms, or have a small swimming pool with gold coins (from dollar store) that they will fish with their toes to find a gold coin in the sand.
- 1. Introduce the memory verse. “My son, listen to your father when he corrects you. And don’t ignore what your mother teaches you.” Proverbs 1:8
- Provide bibles for every child to find the verse and help them as needed. First, model reading the verse for them, and have them repeat after you. Use good expression. Second, read all together. Third, have a child read it alone only if they volunteer. Have the kids read it all together again.
- Share what the verse means. Say: God wants us to listen, obey, and respect our parents. Whether you live with your grandmother, aunt, mom or dad, or both, we are to honor them and obey them. God has given them wisdom to teach us what is right and wrong. If we love God, we will want to please Him. In order to please God, we must follow this command by listening to our parents, or whoever is in charge of us. This includes our teachers at school, our leaders, and pastors in the church, and those who may babysit for you.
- Play the jeopardy game. Explain the rules. Each child will take a turn and select a number. If the number they select has the words “Say the verse” on the back, they say the verse without looking at the verse. If the number they select has the words “fish for gold” on the back they get to fish for a gold coin in the sandbox or select a goldfish cracker from the jar.
- Provide the scripture coloring sheet for them to fill in the letters using markers or crayons.
- Write the verse on the board. Each time the kids say the verse together, erase one word. Continue saying the verse until all the words are erased in the chalkboard. Then, ask for volunteers to say the verse by themselves.
see for additional ideas that will not allow me to enter on this site as well http://www.scribd.com/doc/61954365/Jeapordy-Scripture-Game-Proverbs-1-8