Ministry Resources for Churches
VBS Follow up
1. Be sure you register all the kids who attend your VBS - include telephone number, age, birthday, address, and if they attend church.
2. On the last day of VBS that you see them, send home an invitation to the next church activity. It is a good way to promote a return visit. Have attractive and colorful flyers ready.
3. Take your registration cards and make a file - alphabetical order by name or in alphabetical order according to the streets in which they live.
4. Send all kids a sealed letter letting them know that you were delighted to have them at your VBS. If your VBS ended on Sunday evening, send out the letter on Monday. Include a page of stickers. A letter is best, because someone will take the time to open it even out of curiosity. A post cart is easily thrown away or not as visible. What child does not a letter addressed to them.
5. Three days later (Thursday) follow up with a phone call to see when would be good to stop by to bring their things from VBS. Take the kids a bag of candy, crafts left at the church, and a CD or bible. You can download very nice whole Bible studies and activities for kids at http://biblestudyplanet.com/bible-teaching-for-kids/childrens-bible-studies/ .
6. On Saturday, make the home visits. Saturday is best because it is the day before you really want to see them again.
7. Offer to pick them up if they need transportation on Sunday. You need to have a good program if you want them to continue coming to your church.
8. If you have kids that you have offered and need to pick up, you will probably need to continue this. It will require regular visits and phone calls once a week. Saturday is the best day to make a visit - right before Sunday.
9. Don't give up easy! Satan does not want them to continue coming to church, and will use sports and other things to hinder it. Keep inviting them with a card or either a visit once a month if they do not return. Otherwise, follow up every week as long as they are attending.
10. Send them a birthday card on their birthday or take them a cupcake and card in order to keep a connection.
11. Keep them on your registration files until the next VBS year and then begin process of elimination.
© Kidzministry.net June 15, 2010. All rights reserved.