These are some suggestions will help in working with children in learning the motions and lyrics of a song. These suggestions are for the market practice time NOT for the singing during assembly time. Select only 5 songs from your DVD to work on during a 3-4 day VBS. You will choose the most prepared ones for the VBS program day. It may be all 5 or you may need to eliminate one that did not work out well.
- 1. Select the theme song to work on first. Play the DVD and do only the motions. Demonstrate for them so they can follow your lead. Have the kids stand on the stage or platform and you stand below them lower than they are standing. Now go through the motions with the music playing.
- 2. Tell the kids "that was great! Repeat the same thing again.
- 3. This time tell the kids that the boys seem to be getting the motions better than the girls (For some reason they seem to love this competition).
- 4. This time you will repeat and tell them, "Let's see if the girls can do the motions as well as the boys. "Girls, do you think you can beat them? I can't hear that! (say louder) "Do you think you can beat them?" Sing the song again!
- 5. Say, hmmmm! I think that was almost as good. We will do the song one more time, and this time whoever can manage to do the motions AND help sing will get a treat. (Give them all a sticker). How many think they can do that? Are you sure? Well, I don't know...that is a hard thing to do. Raise your hand if you think you can do both motions and sing at the same time? Ok...here goes....boys or girls.....let's see who wins the contest.
- 6. Say, "Awesome!" Who do you think won? I think everyone earned something." Give them all a sticker. Note: You have now done the theme song through 4 times - little problem!
- 7. Tell the kids to sit down for a rest. Sit where they are in front of them and go over the motions as they watch you for the second song as you say the words - no DVD playing. Do this again and have them help you this time as they are sitting down resting.
- 8. Have kids stand up again and while playing the DVD do only the motions of the song.
- 9. Tell them that was great! Then say, who thinks they can help me lead in the motions up front now. This time we will sing as well. Take several volunteers which you will have.
- 10. DO the song again with the DVD playing - motions only. You lead with the kids who have volunteered. Say, did they get the motions right? Great! Now do we have any other volunteers for one more time? This time we will sing and do the motions both. Any brave volunteers? Do one more time with the volunteers helping you. Tell them they are doing absolutely great! Make sure you sound like you believe it, too! Now you have worked on the second song 4 times - little problem.
- 11. You will always have a complainer. If a kids needs to go to the bathroom and you are all alone, you will need to take them all. Tell the kids who need a drink that after we sing two more songs than they can go. This gives them some motivation to continue.
- 12. Play the third song and only have them watch it.
- 1. Begin with the theme song. Sing it with motions and lyrics both.
- 2. Say,"You were great! I am going to be watching for who does the motions the best. They will be my helpers the next time we sing. Sing again, and then select several who really put forth an effort with the motions. Have the ones you selected come up to help you.
- 3. Say, we are going to do this contest again and this time I am looking for those can sing all the words and do the motions as well. Give all the kids a sticker. Thank the kids who helped you lead.
- 4. Begin the second song that you worked on yesterday. Sing with words and lyrics.
- 5. Then say," Who thinks they really know this song? I need some helpers to lead me this time." Select all the kids to come up and help you lead this time - at least all those who volunteered. The others may sit down. Be sure and tell them how well they did and thank them after you have completed the song.
- 6. Have all the kids sit down. Do the motions of the third song with them with no DVD. Do the same thing again.
- 7. Now, have them stand and do only the motions along with the DVD.
- 8. Next, have them do the song with motions, lyrics, and the DVD playing.
- 9. Say, what is your favorite song? Vote on what song to sing next - out of the three that you have been working on. Sing it!
- 10. Begin the 4th song. Have the kids sit as you demonstrate the lyrics to them with the DVD playing.
- 11. Ask them, who thinks they can do this all by themselves? Are you sure? Ok. Get up here - you are leading this time. You don't have to sing unless you want to, but if you can do both I think I will be shocked! (Sing it again, and see what happens. You may be surprised.)
- 12. Wow! I am impressed! How did you learn that so fast?
- 13. Do you think if we do it one more time, you can get any better? I don't know...........maybe....are you ready to try? This time, the winners of the best singing group today as we travel to our Markets, will have to help me with this song in closing today.
- 14. If time permits, do the same things for the other songs they have been learning to see which one they do best to help lead in at closing assembly today.
- 1. Introduce the 5th song. Demonstrate the motions first. Do this a second time as the kids follow along with you.
- 2. Now stand and do the motions as you sing the song with the DVD playing.
- 3. Say, "I need three special people to lead this, I am tired.
- 4. Select whoever will do it and have them come up while you sit down. Act so impressed with their efforts.
- 5. Now we are going to have a basket contest. I have all the songs in this basket two times. This contest will help to see who will help me lead in closing assembly today. I need those that really do a great job in singing as well as doing all the motions to the songs.
- 6. Tell the kids that they will take turns drawing out a song to sing. If they draw it out they must pick three friends to help them lead it. They can select whoever they want. Tell them you will be watching for who do the best job. Give several kids a sticker or small piece of candy each time a song is sang. Make sure everyone ends up getting one unless they were really uncooperative. You help lead.
- 7. The kids will continue selecting all the songs until all slips of paper have been selected from the basket. You will have sung 5 songs two times each. Let them know it will be a surprise who will be singing for closing assembly. Be wise in selecting kids who really put forth an effort and let them know what you are doing for motivation.
- 8. During closing assembly, select one class together to lead each of the songs with you. Put the whole group on the platform. Have everyone clap. This will also give them stage experience and practice for the program. Use the songs they do best for the program. It would be nice if they all are provided matching t-shirts with the theme on the shirts as they sing for the parents and visitors..
© Kidzministry.net Jeanne McIntosh All rights reserved. May 15, 2010.